Online Documentation for SQL Backup for PostgreSQL
FAQ for EMS SQL Backup for PostgreSQL
Please read this page with frequently asked questions if you have any questions about use of EMS SQL Backup for PostgreSQL.
- What versions of PostgreSQL server does EMS SQL Backup for PostgreSQL support?
- Must EMS SQL Backup for PostgreSQL be installed on each server which I want to work with?
- Whether the servers, EMS SQL Backup for PostgreSQL works with, must be located within one local network?
- Can EMS SQL Backup for PostgreSQL reduce backup size?
- Can I restore a backup file with EMS SQL Backup for PostgreSQL?
- Can I only backup database structure?
- Can I filter database objects and exclude some objects from backup?
- My servers are located in different time zones. At what time zone will tasks be launched?
- Can policy tasks have their own execution schedules?
- How can I see task status in EMS SQL Backup for PostgreSQL?
- Is it possible to launch quick backup without defining any options?
- Can I send backup files to several destinations simultaneously?
- Where can I see the list of the created backup files?
- Can I see the backup files created by other software in the backup files list?
- Can I assign default targets to the server?
- How can I monitor task execution?
- What are the differences between different versions of EMS SQL Backup for PostgreSQL?
- May I not pay the program maintenance?
A: EMS SQL Backup for PostgreSQL works with all server versions starting with 7.4 up to the latest one.
A: No, you need to install the console on the PC, which you want to administer tasks from. You can register all your servers and manage them from a single console.
A: Servers can be located anywhere: in the local or remote network.
A: You can compress backup files for plain SQL and GZIP archives.
A: No, you cannot. However, you can use standard PostgreSQL tools or SQL Manager for PostgreSQL to restore backup files.
A: In the Backup task wizard you can select either to backup data, metadata or both.
A: Yes, you can filter objects by schema or name using wildcards. Either you could add objects to the black list to exclude them from backup.
A: By default tasks are created and launched in local application time, but you can change it to UTC for any server in the Create schedule wizard. In this case all tasks will be performed in UTC time zone.
A: Yes, each task can have one or more schedules.
A: You can see task overview from the main window of the application.
A: Yes, you need to select the required database and click the Quick backup icon on the main pages to launch backup process with pre-defined options for this server. Backup file will be sent to the default storage assigned for the server.
A: Yes, you can select several storages and backup files will be sent to each of them.
A: You can see the list of all created backup files for each backup storage on the Backup storages tab.
A: You can only see the files with BACKUP extension in the files list, created with our software.
A: You need to set at least one default storage for each server to be able to perform Quick backup. The storages can be selected in the Server registration info dialog.
A: You can view task status and info about launches on the main page of the program. Also you can set desktop or email notifications on task start and completion.
A: You can view the list of all functional differences between EMS SQL Backup for PostgreSQL versions in the Feature Matrix.
A: The basic price of EMS SQL Backup for PostgreSQL includes 1 Year Maintenance. Once the Maintenance term expires, you will be able to continue using the software without any limitations; however, you won’t have access to any product updates released after your maintenance expiration date.
If you still have any questions, contact us at our Support Center.