04/12/2006Firebird V2.0 Final released
Firebird 2.0 is the happy culmination of more than two years' efforts from a broad-ranging, truly international community of dedicated developers and supporters. It brings with it a large collection of long-awaited enhancements that significantly improve performance, security and support for international languages and realize some desirable new SQL language features.
This release contains a large number of new features, including derived tables, support for Execute Block, increased table sizes, new improved index code (the 252-byte index length limit is no longer applicable), expression indices, numerous optimizer improvements, enhanced security features, support for on-line incremental backups along with numerous other improvements and bug fixes.
Features of the release include
- A thorough reworking of indexing to ramp up performance and minimise bottlenecks in searching and matching
- Several limitations inherited from the legacy code have now gone, such as the 252-byte limit on index size and the 30 Gb limit on table size.
- A new interface for plugging in international character sets, including enhanced Unicode support, along with a number of new and corrected collations
- 64-bit platform support with released binaries available for AMD64 and Intel EM64T on Linux. Windows 64-bit builds are ready for testing and will follow in a sub-release
- An intense makeover of server security, including beefed-up password encryption and inbuilt protection for brute-force attack
- Support for SQL200x derived tables, including multi-level nesting and joining of subqueries
- EXECUTE BLOCK syntax to enable blocks of procedural SQL (PSQL) to be executed in dynamic SQL statements
- Explicit cursors in PSQL, also available inside EXECUTE BLOCK statements
- Optional WAIT lock conflict timeout, available as both a SET TRANSACTION argument and as a transaction parameter in the API
- All-new incremental backup capability
- Complete re-architecting of "serverless" local connection protocol on Windows to eliminate the inherent instability of the legacy IPServer protocol
- Fully completed implementation of the Services API on all platforms
- Official Windows Setup and Installer For Classic and SuperServer (.exe) (4.1mb)
- SuperServer and Classic for Windows (.zip) (5.6mb)
- Embedded Server for Windows (.zip) (3.1mb)
- Windows Debug Build - Installer (.exe) (7.0mb)
- Windows Debug Build (.zip) (10.4mb)
- Embedded Server Debug Build for Windows (.zip) (5.3mb)