20/07/2005Firebird 2.0 Alpha 3 released.
The Firebird Project is pleased to announce the availability of Firebird 2.0 Alpha 1 for immediate download and testing.
- This version of Firebird 2 is an alpha version, it is for Field Test only and not for use in production.
- All changes and new features are subject to further change and/or withdrawal in subsequent alpha and beta releases, leading up to final release. Do not assume that databases created by or upgraded to the on-disk structure of this alpha will be upwardly compatible with subsequent test builds/releases.
- Bugs, Problems etc can be posted to the Field Test bug tracker or to the Firebird Development List.
This release contains a large number of new features, including derived tables, support for Execute Block, increased table sizes, new improved index code (the 252-byte index length limit is no longer applicable), expression indices, numerous optimiser improvements, enhanced security features, support for on-line incremental backups along with numerous other improvements and bug fixes. Please read the Release Notes for more details.
Note Alpha 3 includes an ODS change. Databases created with Alphas 1 or 2 will be unreadable using Alpha 3. So, backup anything you want to keep before uninstalling a previous alpha.
Feedback, input and comments re this release will be appreciated, as they will help to speed up the cycle for the full Firebird 2.0 release.
Currently Windows only, Linux builds to follow shortly.
- Official Windows Setup and Installer For Classic and SuperServer 2.0 Alpha (.exe) (3.7mb)
- SuperServer and Classic for Windows 2.0 Alpha (.zip) (5.0mb)
- Embedded Server for Windows 2.0 Alpha (.zip) (2.8mb)
- Windows Debug Build 2.0 Alpha (.exe) (5.9mb)
- Windows Debug Build 2.0 Alpha (.zip) (9.5mb)
- Embedded Server Debug Build for Windows 2.0 Alpha (.zip) (4.8mb)